Online Immersion Programs for High School Students
Explore your interests before college
Are there subjects you’re thinking about taking in college but would like to know more about? The Online Immersion Program, designed for high school students ages 13 and up, has been created for this purpose. It offers exciting topics, covered in-depth, through online coursework led by Wake Forest University professors. The program is available year-round, and the online format allows you to study anywhere, anytime, while working at your own pace.
Multiple 2- and 4-week sessions.
For students ages 13+.
$995 - $1295
2 Ways To Take Our Courses
Online Immersion Option
One online immersion option is fully asynchronous, allowing you to tune in anytime your schedule allows. It features online video lessons by professors and support from expert mentors.
Online Immersion +Live Option
The +Live version of our courses includes everything offered in the online program plus live instructional zoom sessions with industry experts and guest speakers. Available for select courses and offered only in the summer.
- Asynchronous video lessons
- Certificate of Completion from WFU
- Support from mentors
- Learn at your own pace
Online Immersion +Live$1295
- Asynchronous video lessons
- Certificate of Completion from WFU
- Support from mentors
- Live sessions on select weekdays with experts
- Learn on a structured schedule
Current Courses Available:
Discover the entrepreneurial mindset
Subscribe, Innovate, Disrupt: An Insider's Guide to Business
Want to learn what makes innovation and entrepreneurship happen? Interested in today’s game-changing companies such as Netflix and Apple? Wondering what college majors prepare you for our agile, fast-moving and entrepreneurial business environment? This course is for you.
You'll hear from award-winning Wake Forest Professor and former CEO Dr. Dan Fogel via video.
Journey into the heart of medicine
Making the Rounds: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Doctor
Thinking about going to med school, but want a real-world taste of what it’s like? Want an introduction to both the science and practice of medicine in a modern hospital? Interested in healthcare careers, but not sure which path is best for you? Take this course, and experience the life-cycle of a heart attack patient and how a treatment team works.
You’ll hear from Wake Forest School of Medicine faculty Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd — two of our most popular professors.
Venture into the world of cancer
Cancer: An Inside Look at Caring, Curing and Treating
Cancer touches so many families and all medical specialties. This course will take you on a journey with cancer patients and introduce you to the latest advances in diagnosis and treatment. If you are interested in medical school, healthcare or the sciences, this course is for you.
You’ll learn through engaging videos by Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd.
Discover the science of who you are
The Mystery & Science of Human Behavior: An Insider’s Guide to Psychology
Wonder how your brain processes information? Want to study what triggers your emotions? Need to improve the way you think? Don’t miss this course which takes you behind the scenes of the human brain.
You’ll hear from two leaders in Psychology at Wake Forest via video. Dr. Christian Waugh is a specialist in cognitive neuroscience, and Dr. Melissa Maffeo is a specialist in neuroscience and adolescent addiction.
What do sports doctors do?
Sports Medicine: An Inside Look at the Major Injuries & Treatments
Why is the NFL so strict with its concussion protocol? What’s the science behind the faster recovery rates athletes now experience with ACL tears? How serious is a shoulder dislocation? Get an in-depth look at common sports injuries, the treatments received by major sports stars and careers in the field. If you’re interested in sports or medicine, this course is for you.
You’ll watch video from Dr. Brian Waterman, who has worked with teams such as the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Fire.
Unlock the science of infectious disease
Bioscience: An Inside Look at Infectious Disease
Infectious diseases have become increasingly challenging because of the global nature of our contemporary world. In this course, we invite you to explore the science behind their origin, spread and containment. The course takes a deep dive into conditions such as tuberculosis, HIV, Covid-19 and others. If you are interested in pursuing the sciences, this is a great place to start.
You’ll learn through engaging videos by Dr. Megan Rudock, PhD.
Go behind the scenes of women’s medicine
Women’s Medicine: An Inside look at Treatment, Intervention, and Surgery
Here is a course for anyone thinking about a future in medicine or healthcare. A few facts: 63% of the top 10 surgical procedures are performed on women. More than ½ of a doctor’s patients could be women. Plus, symptoms for common conditions such as heart disease and Lupus express themselves differently in women than in men. Learn about the health challenges that arise in every stage of women’s lives. If you’re thinking about pre-med this course is a must.
You will hear from Dr. Oona Likhyani O’Neill, MD and Dr. Joshua F. Nitsche, MD, PhD through dynamic videos.
Learn how today’s financial markets work
Investing: The Future of Finance
The rise of FinTech, cryptocurrencies, blockchain, and ESG investing are just a few of the new advances that are disrupting financial markets. Here is a course that invites you to dive into equity markets and stock exchanges, understand how technologies are empowering individuals to take control of their financial futures, and see how these changes are rocking corporate investing.
You’ll hear from Wake Forest University faculty member, Stephan D. Shipe, Ph.D., CFA,CFP, Assistant Teaching Professor of Finance.
How You Will Benefit:
- Online immersion makes courses available throughout the year — pick a subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to study with renowned Wake Forest University or Wake Forest School of Medicine professors while you’re in high school
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Wake Forest University that you can include with your college applications
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
Final Capstone Project
All online immersion courses culminate in a special Capstone project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
Mentors provide support and answer questions to deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you succeed
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final Capstone project
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- You’ll learn through engaging video— tune in anytime that works for you
- 20 - 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia simulations and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support
- Engage with fellow students around the world any time, any place
How to Apply:
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course. You can tell your story through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer.
NOTE: please submit all application materials in English
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Begin the guided process
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you’re accepted?Answers to your questions here
Want to study on campus?
Wake Forest University offers a variety of Summer Immersion Courses on campus that allow high school students to explore their interests and experience being taught by our professors.Learn More About Summer Immersion
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.