Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, all of the Online Immersion courses are non-credit courses from Wake Forest University designed specifically for high school students. The course curriculum and content are created by Wake Forest faculty.
- These courses are designed especially for high school or U.S.-high-school equivalent students, including those who are taking a “gap year” between high school and college. Students should be between 13 and 19 years old, not yet enrolled in college, and no more than 1 year post-high school graduation (“gap year”).
- This course is not intended for college students or adults.
- We are unable to accept students under 13 years of age.
- Online Immersion: 100% flexible between your start and end dates. The lesson content is asynchronous, meaning you study whenever you’d like, and the live mentor office hours are offered frequently throughout the program. Office hours are optional; while we recommend students participate in live meetings with course mentors, attendance is not a requirement for completion. Offered year-round.
- Online Immersion +Live: Includes everything offered in Online Immersion plus live instructional zoom sessions with instructors and guest speakers. This option is offered only in the Summer.
- Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the gold button at the bottom of this page to submit your question or request. If there is a space available in other cohorts, we will work with you to find one that best fits your schedule.
- We accommodate schedule changes whenever possible and are usually able to do so. However, note that it is best to contact us as soon as you know you need to make a change, as we cannot guarantee to accept program session changes within two weeks of your start date.
- Online Immersion: Yes, you can participate from any time zone. Mentor office hours are offered most frequently in U.S. time zones (U.S. PT/MT/CT/ET), but we have students from all over the world studying with us. International students whose time zones do not work with the scheduled office hours can work with their mentors to schedule times to connect.
- For Online Immersion +Live: the live sessions are generally held between 9 AM and 6 PM ET. However, live sessions will also be recorded and provided to students within 24 hours for convenient viewing at any time.
- Online Immersion tuition is $1195.
- Online Immersion +Live tuition is $1595.
- There are no additional fees.
- We offer a limited number of need-based scholarships to students exhibiting high potential and inability to pay full tuition. We encourage students to apply regardless of ability to pay full tuition, and our Admissions are need-blind.
- To be considered for a need-based scholarship, first apply to the program of your choice (no cost to apply). Once accepted, please email us at email@example.com to request consideration for a need-based scholarship.
Click here to apply; you’ll be guided through the application. It’s only a few pages, and it takes just two minutes to get started. You won’t be required to provide transcripts or letters of recommendation. Instead, we will ask you for some basic information and to submit one brief personal statement. The entire application should take no more than 20-30 minutes.
- As we mentioned, we are looking for basic information and why you’re interested. You can complete your statement with a short essay, video, and/or other media files that tell your story.
- You must report your GPA (academic average), however, there is no minimum GPA requirement to be considered. The most important part of your application is your personal statement.
- While we welcome students whose native languages are not English, note that the course is taught in English and application submissions must also be provided in English. Applications submitted in languages other than English will not be accepted.
- Students must be at least 13 years old; no more than 19 years old; and no more than one year removed from high school graduation.
- You can apply to any program listed in the application with one application. Applying to multiple programs does not affect your chances of admission to any one program.
- If you are interested in more than one program, we strongly encourage you to choose different dates for each so that you have time to get the most out of each program.
You’ll usually be notified via email within 5 business days. At peak times or if we have questions about the information you’ve provided, it may take a few additional days to review your application and send you a decision.
- Both our Online Immersion & Online Immersion +Live options include engaging and interactive lectures with the instructors via pre-recorded videos and optional live online meetings with course mentors.
- Online Immersion +Live also includes live instructional Zoom sessions.
- For both options, you complete assignments and other activities on your own schedule.
- You’ll receive expert guidance from a Wake Forest mentor through the live online group meetings and via email.
- The Online Immersion course will take ~30 hours to complete from start to finish. You can choose between a 2-week option (~15 hour per week of work commitment) and a 4-week option (~7.5 hours per week of work commitment).
- Online Immersion +Live sessions also include weekday Zoom sessions featuring guest speakers, group mentors, and interactive events with classmates. Students are encouraged to attend all sessions but also have the option to watch recordings on their own schedules.
- Our course durations vary depending upon when you take the course. Currently, we offer 2-week and 4-week sessions over the summer or 4-week sessions during fall and spring to allow a slower pace during the school year.
- Note that you will continue to have view-only access to the course for 6 months from your course start date.
Once you’ve applied for and paid for the program, you’ll receive an online course invitation at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
- No, the Online Immersion courses are for enrichment and do not provide college credit.
- You will receive an official Certificate of Completion from Wake Forest University, which you can include on your resume or college application.
Although participation in an Online Immersion course will not afford any preferential treatment in the Wake Forest admissions process, it will add another higher education experience to students’ college applications.
Assignments & Grading
Each unit assignment, as well as the Final Project, will be assessed on a rubric of:
- Complete - Work that satisfies the requirements of the assignment
- Incomplete - Work was not submitted or did not address the assignment requirements
- You can view a sample of our Bioscience course here.
- You can view a sample of our Business course here.
- You can view a sample of our Cancer course here.
- You can view a sample of our Medical course here.
- You can view a sample of our Psychology course here.
- You can view a sample of our Sports Medicine course here.
- Your final assignment is a project in which you will have the opportunity to demonstrate what you’ve learned in the program. You’ll choose from a variety of topics covered in your course, get feedback from your mentors on your work, and you’ll be able to use any media you prefer-- text, video, photography, or Powerpoint. Best of all, you'll be able to list your project on future college or internships applications.
You will have until the end of the course to complete your assignments and final project.
About the Instructors & Mentors
- Business course: Subscribe, Innovate, Disrupt: An Insider's Guide to Business
- Cancer course: An Inside Look at Caring, Curing and Treating
- Medicine course: Making the Rounds: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Doctor
- Psychology course: The Mystery and Science of Human Behavior: An Insider’s Guide to Psychology
- Sports Medicine course: Sports Medicine: An Inside Look at the Major Injuries and Treatments
Wake Forests’ mentors are current, high performing Wake Forest students and alumnae that will work with you throughout the course. Your mentor will provide encouragement and direction on assignments, as well as the inspiration and confidence to be successful. In short, you won’t need to go it alone.
Course mentors will support you by answering your course-related questions, providing guidance, encouragement, and recommendations throughout the course, and giving feedback on your assignments and the final project. Mentors use online video conferencing and digital messaging tools to provide support.
You’ll have the opportunity to connect with your mentor virtually during your course access period in two different ways: via designated office hours and via email.
- Once logged into your online course, you can view your Mentor’s office hours (and the office hours for all other mentors) in your Canvas Calendar. You’ll be able to meet with them and other students to ask any questions you have regarding the course.
- You’re welcome to meet with your assigned mentor or any of our available mentors via office hours, so you’ll have a number of time slots to choose from depending upon your availability. Note that office hour sessions are completely optional.
- You'll also have the opportunity to email your mentor directly using the Canvas Inbox whenever you have any questions or need support regarding your course content.
Refund Policy Information
- We know that plans and circumstances often change, so tuition payments are 100% refundable when requested fifteen (15) or more days prior to your scheduled program start date.
- All payments become non-refundable fourteen (14) days prior to your scheduled program start date.
Technical Requirements & Issues
- Download the Canvas Student app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Once downloaded, input Wake Forest Online Immersion under “What’s your school’s name?”
- Then, login into Canvas with your credentials.
Enrolled students will receive course access via email at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
You must complete all of the assignments for your course by the end of your course session. You’ll have view-only access to the online course for 6 months after your end-date.
For Guidance Counselors
Possibly. If you would like to collaborate with us to create a scholarship specifically for students that attend your school, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still Need Support?
Click on the gold button on the bottom right corner of this page or email us at email@example.com and a member of our Support Team will get back to you as soon as possible.