Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, all of the Online Immersion courses are non-credit courses from Wake Forest University designed specifically for high school students. The course curriculum and content are created by Wake Forest faculty.
- These courses are designed especially for high school or U.S.-high-school equivalent students, including those who are taking a “gap year” between high school and college. Students should be between 13 and 19 years old, not yet enrolled in college, and no more than 1 year post-high school graduation (“gap year”).
- This course is not intended for college students or adults.
- We are unable to accept students under 13 years of age.
- Online course: 100% flexible between your start and end dates. The lesson content is asynchronous, meaning you study whenever you’d like. Offered year-round.
- Online course +Live: Includes everything offered in the online course plus live instructional zoom sessions with industry experts and guest speakers. Attendance is not a requirement for completion. This option is offered only in the summer.
- Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the gold button at the bottom of this page to submit your question or request. If there is a space available in other cohorts, we will work with you to find one that best fits your schedule.
- We accommodate schedule changes whenever possible and are usually able to do so. However, note that it is best to contact us as soon as you know you need to make a change, as we cannot guarantee to accept program session changes within two weeks of your start date.
- Yes, the lesson content is asynchronous, so you can participate from any time zone. Mentors most frequently interact during daytime hours in U.S. time zones (U.S. PT/MT/CT/ET), but we have students from all over the world studying with us.
- For the +Live option: the live sessions are generally held between 9 AM and 6 PM ET.
Course tuition is as follows:
$995: Online immersion courses
- Online immersion courses offered year-round: Bioscience, Business, Cancer Medicine, Finance, Medicine, Psychology, Sports Medicine, and Women's Medicine
$1295: +Live courses
- +Live courses offered in summer 2022: Bioscience, Business, Medicine, Psychology, and Sports Medicine
We accept most major credit cards (AMEX, Discover, Mastercard, Visa UnionPay, JCB, etc.), as well as Apple Pay, Google Pay, Alipay, and WeChat Pay.
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Click here to apply; you’ll be guided through the application. It’s only a few pages, and it takes just two minutes to get started. You won’t be required to provide transcripts or letters of recommendation. Instead, we will ask you for some basic information and to submit one brief personal statement. The entire application should take no more than 20-30 minutes.
- As we mentioned, we are looking for basic information and why you’re interested. You can complete your statement with a short essay, video, and/or other media files that tell your story.
- You must report your GPA (academic average), however, there is no minimum GPA requirement to be considered. The most important part of your application is your personal statement.
- While we welcome students whose native languages are not English, note that the course is taught in English and application submissions must also be provided in English. Applications submitted in languages other than English will not be accepted.
- Students must be at least 13 years old; no more than 19 years old; and no more than one year removed from high school graduation.
- You can apply to any program listed in the application with one application. Applying to multiple programs does not affect your chances of admission to any one program.
- If you are interested in more than one program, we strongly encourage you to choose different dates for each so that you have time to get the most out of each program.
You’ll usually be notified via email within 5 business days. At peak times or if we have questions about the information you’ve provided, it may take a few additional days to review your application and send you a decision.
- Both the online courses and +Live online courses include engaging and interactive lectures via pre-recorded videos and support from course mentors.
- For both options, you complete assignments and other activities on your own schedule.
- +Live also includes live instructional Zoom sessions.
- The Online Immersion course will take ~30 hours to complete from start to finish. You can choose between a 2-week option (~15 hour per week of work commitment) and a 4-week option (~7.5 hours per week of work commitment).
- You have the flexibility to complete the course work on your own schedule, while keeping in mind that all work must be completed before the end of the 2-week or 4-week course you’re enrolled in. Regardless of your selection, all options contain the same program content, sessions, and support.
- Note that you will continue to have view-only access to the course for 6 months from your course start date.
- +Live sessions also include weekday Zoom sessions featuring guest speakers, mentors, and interactive events with classmates.
Once you’ve applied for and paid for the program, you’ll receive an online course invitation at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
- No, the Online Immersion courses are for enrichment and do not provide college credit.
- You will receive an official Certificate of Completion from Wake Forest University, which you can include on your resume or college application.
Although participation in an Online Immersion course will not afford any preferential treatment in the Wake Forest admissions process, it will add another higher education experience to students’ college applications.
Assignments & Grading
Each unit assignment, as well as the Final Project, will be assessed on a rubric of:
- Complete - Work that satisfies the requirements of the assignment
- Incomplete - Work was not submitted or did not address the assignment requirements
Each course includes module assignments and culminates in one final project.
- You'll complete engaging, curated assignments at the end of each module designed to solidify and reinforce your knowledge of the course content.
- Your final assignment is a project in which you will have the opportunity to demonstrate what you’ve learned in the program. You’ll choose from a variety of topics covered in your course, get feedback from your mentors on your work, and you’ll be able to use any media you prefer-- text, video, photography, or Powerpoint. Best of all, you'll be able to list your project on future college or internships applications.
You will have until the end of the course to complete your assignments and final project.
About the Instructors & Mentors
- Business course: Subscribe, Innovate, Disrupt: An Insider's Guide to Business
- Cancer course: An Inside Look at Caring, Curing and Treating
- Finance course: Investing: The Future of Finance
- Medicine course: Making the Rounds: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Doctor
- Psychology course: The Mystery and Science of Human Behavior: An Insider’s Guide to Psychology
- Sports Medicine course: Sports Medicine: An Inside Look at the Major Injuries and Treatments
- Women's Medicine course: An Inside Look at Treatment, Intervention, and Surgery
Mentors are well-versed in your course subject and will work with you throughout the course. They will provide encouragement and direction on assignments, as well as the inspiration and confidence to be successful. In short, you won’t need to go it alone.
Course mentors will support you by answering your course-related questions, providing guidance, encouragement, and recommendations throughout the course, and giving feedback on your assignments and the final project.
You’ll have the opportunity to connect with your mentor virtually during your course through the Canvas Inbox and discussion board. You can also expect to receive mentor feedback on course assignments and the final project. Reach out to your mentor whenever you have any questions or need support regarding your course content.
Refund Policy Information
- We know that plans and circumstances often change, so tuition payments are 100% refundable when requested fifteen (15) or more days prior to your scheduled program start date.
- All payments become non-refundable fourteen (14) days prior to your scheduled program start date.
Technical Requirements & Issues
- Download the Canvas Student app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Once downloaded, input Wake Forest Online Immersion under “What’s your school’s name?”
- Then, login into Canvas with your credentials.
Enrolled students will receive course access via email at least 2 days prior to your course start date. Students who enroll at or near the deadline may receive credentials slightly later.
You must complete all of the assignments for your course by the end of your course session. You’ll have view-only access to the online course for 6 months after your end-date.
For School Counselors
Possibly. If you would like to collaborate with us to create a scholarship specifically for students that attend your school, please reach out to email@example.com.
Still Need Support?
Click on the gold button on the bottom right corner of this page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our Support Team will get back to you as soon as possible.