Online Immersion Programs for High School Students
Explore your interests before college
Are there subjects you’re thinking about taking in college but would like to know more about? The Online Immersion Program, designed for high school students ages 13 and up, has been created for this purpose. It offers exciting topics, covered in-depth, through online coursework led by Wake Forest University professors. The program is available year-round, and the online format allows you to study anywhere, anytime, while working at your own pace.
Multi-length courses available throughout the year
For students ages 13+.
Current Courses Available:
Strategy & Innovation
Want to learn how business drives innovation? Curious about how strategic decisions are made? Interested in game-changers like Netflix and Apple? If you want to prepare for a future in today’s agile and entrepreneurial business environment, this course is for you.
Hear from award-winning Wake Forest Professor and former CEO Dr. Dan Fogel and business expert Lee Weiss through dynamic videos.
Making the Rounds: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Doctor
Considering going to med school, but want a taste of what it’s like? Here’s an introduction to both the science and practice of medicine in a modern hospital. This course shares the lifecycle of a heart attack patient and how a treatment team works. Explore healthcare careers, and determine which path is best for you.
Hear from Wake Forest School of Medicine faculty Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd — two of our most popular professors.
An Inside Look at Caring, Curing and Treating
Cancer touches so many families and all medical specialties. This course will take you on a journey with cancer patients and introduce you to the latest advances in diagnosis and treatment. If you are interested in medical school, healthcare or the sciences, this course is for you.
Learn through engaging videos by Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd.
The Mystery & Science of Human Behavior: An Insider’s Guide to Psychology
Wonder how your brain processes information? Want to study what triggers your emotions, or need to improve the way you think? Don’t miss this course, which takes you behind the scenes of the human brain.
Hear from two leaders in psychology at Wake Forest via video: Dr. Christian Waugh, a specialist in cognitive neuroscience and Dr. Melissa Maffeo, a specialist in neuroscience and adolescent addiction.
An Inside Look at the Major Injuries & Treatments
Why is the NFL so strict with concussion protocol? What’s the science behind faster recovery rates athletes experience from ACL tears? How serious is a dislocated shoulder? Learn common sports injuries, the treatments sports stars receive and careers in the field. If you’re interested in sports or medicine, this course is for you.
Hear from Dr. Brian Waterman, who has worked with the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Fire.
An Inside Look at Infectious Disease
Infectious diseases have become increasingly challenging because of the global nature of our world. This course explores the science behind disease origins, and how they spread or contained. You’ll take a deep dive into conditions like tuberculosis, HIV, Covid-19 and others. If you are interested in pursuing the sciences, this is a great place to start.
Learn through engaging videos by Dr. Megan Rudock, PhD.
An Inside look at Treatment, Intervention, and Surgery
Fact: 63% of the top 10 surgical procedures are performed on women. Plus, symptoms for common conditions like heart disease and Lupus express themselves differently in women. Study the health challenges that arise in every stage of a woman's life. If you’re thinking about pre-med, this course is a must.
Hear from Dr. Oona Likhyani O’Neill, MD and Dr. Joshua F. Nitsche, MD, PhD through dynamic videos.
The Future of Finance
New advances like fintech, cryptocurrencies, blockchain and ESG investing are disrupting financial markets. Here is a course that invites you to dive into equity markets and stock exchanges, understand how technologies empower individuals to take control of their financial futures and see how these changes are rocking corporate investing.
Hear from Wake Forest University's Stephan D. Shipe, PhD, CFA, CFP, assistant teaching professor of finance.
Inside the Courtroom
Are you intrigued by criminal law and how a case is brought to court? Our course covers the procedures law enforcement follows for search and arrest, and the ways evidence is used in a criminal case. Practice the analytical skills of prosecutors and defense attorneys and examine the judge’s role in overseeing criminal convictions, sentences and appeals.
Hear from Professor Eileen Prescott, project director for Wake Forest University Law School’s Accountable Prosecutor Project.
Hear From Our Students
Annie, Pre-College Online Immersion student from NC
“I would highly recommend the Wake Forest Summer Immersion [Program] to anyone interested. For me, it gave me a better understanding of the process of being a doctor and taking care of a patient. I have always loved medicine, but this further affirmed how much I would like to do this as a career.”
How You Will Benefit:
- Online immersion makes courses available throughout the year — pick a subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to study with renowned Wake Forest University or Wake Forest School of Medicine professors while you’re in high school
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Wake Forest University that you can include with your college applications
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
Final Capstone Project
All online immersion courses culminate in a special Capstone project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
Mentors provide support and answer questions to deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you succeed
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final Capstone project
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- You’ll learn through engaging video— tune in anytime that works for you
- 20 - 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia simulations and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support
- Engage with fellow students around the world any time, any place
How to Apply:
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course. You can tell your story through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer.
NOTE: please submit all application materials in English
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Begin the guided process
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you’re accepted?Answers to your questions here
Want to study on campus?
Wake Forest University offers a variety of Summer Immersion Courses on campus that allow high school students to explore their interests and experience being taught by our professors.Learn More About Summer Immersion
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, resume your application and click “Apply for Scholarship”.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.