Online Medical Programs for High School Students
Explore the health and medical fields before college
Thinking about going into the field of medicine, medical science, or healthcare and want a real-world taste of what it’s like? These online courses in medicine, designed for high school students ages 13 and up, have been created for this purpose. We offer exciting topics in the medical field, covered in-depth, through online coursework. You’ll learn from Wake Forest medical doctors and professors with the support of mentors. These courses are available year-round, and the online format allows you to study anywhere, anytime, while working at your own pace.
Multiple 2- and 4-week sessions.
For students completing grades 9-12, ages 13+.
$995 ($1295 for +Live)
Current Courses Available:
Journey into the heart of medicine
Making the Rounds: An Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Doctor
Thinking about going to med-school, but want a real-world taste of what it’s like? Want an introduction to both the science and practice of medicine in a modern hospital? Interested in healthcare careers, but not sure which path is best for you? Take this course, and experience the life-cycle of a heart attack patient and how a treatment team works.
You’ll be hear from Wake Forest School of Medicine faculty Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd — two of our most popular professors.
What do sports doctors do?
Sports Medicine: An Inside Look at the Major Injuries & Treatments
Why is the NFL so strict with its concussion protocol? What’s the science behind the faster recovery rates athletes now experience with ACL tears? How serious is a shoulder dislocation? Get an in-depth look at common sports injuries, the treatments received by major sports stars and careers in the field. If you’re interested in sports or medicine, this course is for you.
You’ll watch video from Dr. Brian Waterman, who has worked with teams such as the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Fire.
Venture into the world of cancer
Cancer: An Inside Look at Caring, Curing and Treating
Cancer touches so many families and all medical specialties. This course will take you on a journey with cancer patients and introduce you to the latest advances in diagnosis and treatment. If you are interested in medical school, healthcare or the sciences, this course is for you.
You’ll learn through engaging videos by Dr. Lindsay Strowd and Dr. Roy Strowd.
Go behind the scenes of Women's Medicine
Women's Medicine: An Inside Look at Treatment, Intervention, and Surgery
This course is for anyone thinking about a future in medicine or healthcare. A few facts: 63% of the top 10 surgical procedures are performed on women. More than 1/2 of a doctor's patients could be women. Plus, symptoms for common conditions such as heart disease and Lupus express themselves differently in women than men. Learn about the health challenges that arise in every stage of women's lives. If you're thinking about pre-med this course is a must.
You'll hear from Dr. Oona Likhyani O'Neill, MD and Dr. Joshua Nitsche, MD, PhD through dynamic videos.
Discover the science of who you are
The Mystery & Science of Human Behavior: An Insider’s Guide to Psychology
Wonder how your brain processes information? Want to study what triggers your emotions? Need to improve the way you think? Don’t miss this course which takes you behind the scenes of the human brain.
You’ll hear from two leaders in Psychology at Wake Forest via video. Dr. Christian Waugh is a specialist in cognitive neuroscience, and Dr. Melissa Maffeo is a specialist in neuroscience and adolescent addiction.
Unlock the science of infectious disease
Bioscience: An Inside Look at Infectious Disease
Infectious diseases have become increasingly challenging because of the global nature of our contemporary world. In this course, we invite you to explore the science behind their origin, spread and containment. The course takes a deep dive into conditions such as tuberculosis, HIV, Covid-19 and others. If you are interested in pursuing the sciences, this is a great place to start.
You’ll learn through engaging videos by Dr. Megan Rudock, PhD.
Hear From Wake Forest
How You Will Benefit:
- Online courses are available throughout the year — pick a medical course that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up — so you can start exploring the field of medicine early on
- Experience what it’s like to study with renowned Wake Forest University or Wake Forest School of Medicine professors while you’re in high school
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Wake Forest University that you can include with your college applications
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You
Final Capstone Project
All online medicine courses culminate in a special Capstone project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Choose from a variety of medical topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer— text, video, photography, PowerPoint
Mentors provide support and answer questions to deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation, and confidence to help you succeed
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final Capstone project
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- 20 - 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support
- Meet fellow students online from around the world
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course. You can tell your story through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer.
NOTE: please submit all application materials in English
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Begin the guided process
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you’re accepted?Answers to your questions here
Want to study on campus?
Wake Forest University offers a variety of Summer Immersion Courses on campus that allow high school students to explore their interests and experience being taught by our professors.Learn More About Summer Immersion
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential who need assistance affording the associated cost. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.